Assignment #1 Technology Literacy

Monday, January 28, 2008

My current Knowledge of Technology

Technology is ever changing. The second I think that I have something figured out a new and supposedly better version comes out. Though technology can be at times frustrating I enjoy figuring out how things work. My family has had a computer in the house as long as I can remember and I have defiantly seen the advances in personal computers, now I have one of my own as well as other digitally advanced tools. Besides using my computer for research purposes for classes, and basic Microsoft Office programs I have not used much educational technology, such as the SMART board and other tools I hope to one day use to teach my own students. In order to teach through technology I will need to continually stay savvy myself, which means being flexible with the changing technology.

How I Hope to Grow

This semester I hope to become more familiar with the technology used in classrooms today. I feel like there are so many different tools I do not even know are available. There are a few specific areas I would like to learn in this Technology in Education Class. The first area I would like to learn about is educational games. Kids these days are obsessed with personal games, and through educational games I will be able to trick them into learning and enriching education through technology. Another area I would like to learn about is video broad casting, which I think could be used in a variety of ways in the classroom. Last I would also like to know where I can find ways to get the technology I need in my classroom that is not already provided. I know there are grants for schools and other government funding to get what I need, but as of now I do not know where to even start looking.

Technology's Role in Today's Classroom

Technology plays a very large role in the classroom today and with technology evolving as fast as it does it will probably play a role larger than I can imagine in the future. Though the role is big it should never take over the role as a teacher, it needs to remain a tool through which the teacher teaches. Too often technology is over used to babysit children and that should not become the future classroom. However with that said, computers and other digitally advanced tools need to be implemented in classrooms for a variety of reasons. One reason is that students are already digitally savvy and technology is already apart of their world. Technology brings two countries to the same classroom, and information is available at the touch of a button. To take that out of a classroom would mean taking what education is becoming out of the classroom. Another reason technology needs to be in classrooms is because it is everywhere else. Teachers need to show students the ethical way to use technology. Students are the working class of tomorrow and need correct skills to be taught in a safe place.

Three Ways of Implementing Technology in My Future Class

Using the Profiles for Technology Literate Students: http://www.iste.org/inhouse/nets/cnets/students/pdf/NETS-S_Student_Profiles.pdf

Using standard number one my first grade students would write a creative story using Microsoft Word. This would help them practice their typing skills which is necessary for other assignments they will be doing in this classroom and future classrooms.

Using standard number three my first grade class would have what many children have had in the past, pen pals, but with a few advances. Instead of using pens the class would use e-mail, and each student would have a student they corresponded with from another country. A resource I found via the web that enables teachers to set up email pals for their students is http://www.epals.com/. Using a tool such as this teaches students about different cultures and countries, such as what it is like to go to school in Germany. Students could also use a digital camera to take and upload photos to send in emails.

Using standard numbers four and five my first grade class will work in groups of four or fives to produce a PowerPoint on historical Presidents. They will need to research their chosen President, and make a visually appealing presentation including at least five sides (including first slide), three pictures, and four typing objectives. This will later be presented to the class.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technology (and this class) totally scares me and thrills me at the same time. I am observing (and I hope to be employed someday) at a lower income school where my cooperating teacher has to share with 2 other teachers; she only has a computer (but no projector to do powerpoint) and an overhead. Finding grants for our schools is a great way to get technology that the school cannot afford and maybe we can figure some of this stuff out together (cuz I am lame on my own). By the way, wanna be my epal?

Design of Open Media | To Blogger by Blog and Web